Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Boofer

BOOFER
Marty's story began with us in 2003. I had just graduated from seminary when I received a call from a Humane Society asking if my rescue, the Recycled Pomeranian and Schipperke Rescue, had room for an older, toothless, midget of a Pom. Of course, I said yes.
I still remember anxiously awaiting his arrival! And then I saw him. He was so pitiful. Marty was about 3 pounds of skin and bones, and basically hairless. I wasn't sure he'd be around long because he was in such poor shape. Marty's owner had died and one of the adult children had taken him in -- sort of. They had been keeping this tiny dog in their backyard with a larger dog.
Poor Marty was not getting any of the food. He could not fend for himself. So began our relationship with this wonderful boy! I took Marty home and began to try to fatten him up.
I also took him to the vet to get him checked out. We started him on thyroid medicine and gave him high quality holistic food and supplements. Within six months, Marty had a glorious coat of hair, and his true personality was beginning to shine. We nicknamed Marty, Boof or the Boofer, because he did not bark -- he boofed. Marty would exert so much energy in boofing that his little front feet would come up off the floor every time he boofed. And Marty was and is a character!
He loves people and thinks that everyone should know who he is and fawn all over him. When I started taking him to Petsmart, he became known to the employees. After they knew him, I would swear he looked around as soon as we entered the doors to Petsmart, looking for his entourage. On one visit to Petsmart to have a photo taken, we had a real problem keeping Marty upright for his photo because he kept rolling over on his back to have his tummy scratched. Everyone who was watching Marty's antics were laughing.
Initially, I had planned on finding an adoptive home for this special boy. But after several potential adopters asked me if Marty could be trained to keep his tongue in his mouth (it hangs out because he does not have any teeth to hold it in) I decided Marty needed to stay with me. Of course, my husband and I were already quiet smitten with him. One of the funniest things about Marty is that he hates the word raspberry. If I ask him if he wants a raspberry, he will wrinkle his nose and try to look fierce and even growl. And then he will come after my nose with his toothless mouth. I call it being slobber knocked. However, this is a game that he will only play with me, his mom. Marty has grown old now with us.
He is a welcoming Pom to all of our fosters. Currently, he is taking care of a seven week old Porkie (Pom-Yorkie mix born to a rescued Pom) while she waits to go to her new adoptive family. Marty is 14-15 years of age now and has numerous health issues. This past summer, he had a health scare and I thought we were going to lose him, but he rallied. Our vet said that he does not know why or how Marty is still alive. I think he is still alive because he knows that he is so loved. Boofer will always have a special place in my heart. I cannot imagine what the last 6 years would have been like without his loving and humorous presence in my life. Many times people are reluctant to adopt an older dog. I can tell you from personal experience with several dogs I have adopted as seniors that I would not go back and change a thing. Yes, you may have them with you are shorter period of time, but the days that you spend with a senior are golden! Please look at the senior dogs that are in shelters or rescue groups and give them a chance. Your life will be greatly enriched! Thank you Marty-Boof for coming into my life. I will always love you! You are my fur angel here on earth. I love you Boofer!
-- Melissa Bitting
(from Petwarmer's.com)

1 comment:

Helen said...

Great story Merry. Sorry that I haven't been reading blogs and answering email but I have been so busy taking care of my daughter that I just haven't had time to do anything else. Helen